Angela Backhouse is the Principal of Backhouse Legal. Angela has over 10 years’ experience as a commercial and property solicitor and has been involved in a wide range of matters including conveyancing, corporate/business transactions, commercial litigation, bankruptcy & insolvency, wills and probates, and financial services.
Examples of Angela’s experience include:
- Providing advice about various business structures and creating unit trusts, discretionary trusts and corporate structures
- Drafting amendments to company constitutions and trust deeds
- Drafting and facilitating Share Sale Agreements
- Advising on constitution, structure and management of incorporated associations, including preparation of governing documents
- Drafting documentation and facilitating sales of businesses including hotels, motels, franchises, café’s and restaurants, courier companies, child care centres, farming businesses, processing plants, hairdressers and beauticians, rent rolls, other retail outlets, and service based businesses
- Providing advice on franchise agreements
- Providing advice, setting up and coordinating variations to managed investment schemes
- Preparation of Product Disclosure Statements
- Insolvency and bankruptcy litigation and advice
- Commercial litigation, including building disputes
- Advising liquidators and receivers on various issues under the Corporations Act and Bankruptcy Act
- Providing advice on the Privacy Act and the Copyright Act.
- Advising banking institutions on complex company arrangements for lending and recovery purposes
- Leasing and property transactions in ACT, NSW and QLD
- Large scale rural property transactions including dealings with Water Access Licences
- Coordinating large subdivisions
- Creating and providing advice about easements and restrictive covenants
- Setting up Community Titles and drafting governing documents
- Advising on and preparing wills, probates, and powers of attorney
- Complex estate planning including corporate restructures for estate planning purposes
Angela has completed a Bachelor of Laws and Masters in Legal Practice at the Australian National University. Angela holds an Unrestricted Practicing Certificate with the ACT Law Society.
Angela is originally from Araluen NSW, a small country town near Braidwood with a population of around 2000 people. From her small town origins Angela understands the importance of building and maintaining good relationships with everyone she has dealings with.
Angela values the importance of education and supports students in various aspects. For many years Angela has ben working as a mentor for the ANU Legal Workshop providing guidance to law students who want to be admitted to practice law. Angela is also the President of the Braidwood Preschool Committee.
Angela was formerly a public officer for the Braidwood & District Education Foundation which provides financial assistance and support to school-leavers to help them achieve their career aspirations.
Angela believes that education about the law should not be limited to law students. There are so many small business owners who don’t have access to education about their legal obligations and advice about how best to set up and operate their business. It is for this reason that Angela also regularly volunteers at the Legal Advice Clinic for Small Business in Canberra, operated by the University of Canberra, in conjunction with Legal Aid ACT.
Angela is the 2017 Canberra Business Woman of the Year.